I am notoriously known as a liker of the excitement of the last minute. This past Sunday being a case in point, I was due to bring dessert to a ladies luncheon and had not had time on Saturday to do any grocery shopping.
Luckily, I have a Fresh Stop in my neighbourhood that stocks a great variety of fresh fruit and a couple of other kitchen staples. A late Saturday night grocery run and 15 minutes, just under R200 later I’m armed with everything I need to whip up dessert.
For the meringue:
3 large egg whites
pinch of salt
150g castor sugar
1tsp vanilla extract (from my pantry)
½ tsp white vinegar (from my pantry)
1tsp corn flour (Maizena, from my pantry)
For the pavlova:
1 mango chopped into bite size cubes
1 kiwi sliced
1 nectarine chopped into bite sized cube
pulp of one granadilla
250ml fresh cream
2 tbsp castor sugar
200ml plain yoghurt
For the mango sauce
1 mango chopped
juice of half a lemon
Preparation time: 1hour 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
Serves: 6 dessert lovers
- Preheat your oven to 150 degrees Celsius
- Place parchment/baking paper on an oven tray, draw one 20cm circle onto the paper. I used a medium sized bowl to do this
- Place egg whites in a clean bowl with a pinch of salt and whisk (medium speed) till firm peaks begin to form
- Add the sugar in batches slowly while continuously whisking
- Whisk in all the sugar until the meringues are shiny and glossy with soft peaks
- Sprinkle over the vanilla extract, vinegar and the cornflour and fold them into the meringue
- With a spoon transfer the meringue onto the baking paper, be sure to make the edges higher than the centre (this will allow it to hold the fruit topping)
- Tip: Use the back of a spoon to create a dip in the centre of the meringue
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour, till meringue is little golden
- Tip: I usually make my meringue the night before and then assemble just before guests arrive the next day
- Tip: If you are making the meringue just before serving, then do all of the fruit prep and make the mango sauce, while the meringue is in the oven. Chop, chop and more chopping.
- To make the mango sauce by placing cubed mango, lemon juice, sugar and water in a blender and blend till smooth.
- After the hour take the meringue out of the oven and allow to cool
- Mix all the cubed fruit and the granadilla pulp in a bowl.
- Whisk the cream and sugar in a clean bowl until the cream forms peaks but isn’t stiff.
- Next fold the yoghurt into the cream.
- Now to assemble
- Place the meringue on a serving plate, layer with mango sauce (1/2cm away from the edges of the meringue)
- Top with the cream and yoghurt mixture
- Then place the fruit on the top in the centre
- Serve immediately!
- Please note that all of the pantry items where also available at the Fresh Stop
Get all of these ingredients at your nearest Caltex Fresh Stop!